[Soekris] Ubiquity 400mW mini-PCI

Matt Buford matt at overloaded.net
Fri Oct 7 18:03:06 UTC 2005

I have a point to point link using these cards with a 4801 running in master
mode (power supply 31311210) on one side and a 4521 (power supply 31954804
PoE) on the other side.  As far as I can tell they seem to get enough power.

This was an upgrade from running senao 200mw cards in the same system.
Strangely, the signal does not seem to be notably better.  I do not have
line of sight and actually bounce my signal off a 30+ story residential
building.  In both cases it works ok most of the time but is prone to "bad
days" where the signal seems to fade.  During that time large packets get
dropped while smaller packets tend to make it through.  I had hoped the
400mw card would help me power through whatever noise was causing the issue
but it doesn't seem to have change much.

I had moderate stability problems of the 4521 end all along.  After
upgrading to the 400mw card, that system became even more unstable and then
one day mysteriously wouldn't boot at all and just scrolled a LILO error
nonstop.  I ended up replacing the 4521 with another identical board I had
lying around and this made it boot right up and all stability problems were
gone.

I suspect that specific 4521 board has been marginally bad all along, which
would explain the stability issues I was never able to iron out.  However,
to be honest I have not had time to further play with the questionable board
to try to figure out what is really going on.