[Soekris] net4801-50 as a file server

Antoine Jacoutot ajacoutot at lphp.org
Tue Mar 29 16:47:44 UTC 2005

Hello :)

I'm totally ignorant when it comes to Soekris, but lately, I've been
very interested by buying one or more of those.
I'm interested on running OpenBSD on a net4801-50 (with 2 serial ports).
As far as I understand, for firewall/routing this looks like a great
platform.
Now, I have a question which might sound dumb but here it goes...
I would like to use a Soekris box as a file server (samba+NFS). I looked
at the mailing list archives and found out that the 2.5 HD "Hitachi
Travelstar 7K60" might be a good choice for that. This server will be on
24/24, is it possible or is it just a stupid idea...
I'm looking for some feedbacks about that kind of configuration. Note
that from what you could say, I might use another hard drive.

Thanks inn advance...

Antoine