[Soekris] Tale of two 4801s

William R. Cummins wcummins at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 05:00:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:56:37 -0500, Kurt Miller <truk at optonline.net> wrote:
[snip]

> I've had to turn of DMA for my Hitachi Travelstar 5K80 20GB and
> also for an IBM 1GB microdrive. That gets rid of the device timeout's
> and DMA downgrades.
>
> From my notes:

[snip]

> Also you should check the temperature of the hard drive (assuming
> your hard drive is capable). In -current you can use the smartmontools
> port. Or for 3.6 look, in the archives of ports@ and adjust it as needed.

That was the first thing I tried.  I went down in mode all the way to
PIO/DMA 0 (0xFF8).  Still had the corruption issues after a couple of
hundred megs of writes.  It takes hours and hours to do that in PIO 0,
if you ever get the urge.

Considering where the IDE controller resides, I'd expect a heat
problem to be more dramatic and less consistent across four different
brands, sizes, and generations of drives.

I'm told the other 4801 is doing fine, and has had no problem doing
kernel compiles, etc.

Thanks to all for your ideas.

-Bill

--