[Soekris] Installing FreeBSD to a NET4801 using a CF card as the bootstrap

David Courtney blixel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 19:34:56 UTC 2005

List,

I'm trying to document a procedure for installing FreeBSD 5.4 (and
possibly 4.11) onto a NET4801 w/ a hard-drive by using a CF card to
bootstrap the soekris box.  Basically the CF card would be like
booting from a CD or a really big floppy disk.

I've downloaded the bootonly ISO for FreeBS 5.4 and have mounted it as
a loopback device.  I believe I can simply copy the contents of the
ISO to the CF card, but I'm not sure how to make the CF card bootable.
 Can I just dd the boot0 (or boot0sio) file to the first 512 bytes of
the CF card?