[Soekris] 'Ghost' a CF or HD?

Joshua Ferraro jmf at kados.org
Thu Jul 21 14:40:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 10:37:46AM -0300, Diego Roig Seigneur wrote:
> In my case, I´ve setup a cross compiling environment using Crosstool http://
> kegel.com/crosstool/ . Then I compile and build all the needed software (linux
> kernel, glibc, minimal runtime environmnet and my application). After that I
> mount a loopback device, stuff all the software there, unmount, and put this
> filesystem image together with the kernel in a file.
>
> Distribution is just a matter of booting with PXE and 'cat'ting this file to
> the flash device.

This method seems to me to be the ideal long-term strategy. I've got a few
machines going live this month so I'll probably stick with dd for those.
But in the meantime, could you expand a bit on the process? Or could you
point me in the direction of some good docs for setting up the build
environment?

Also, I'm not that familiar with cat'ting a file to a flash drive. How
does cat write a disk image to a drive? Does a partition already need
to be set up?

Thanks,

Joshua