[Soekris] I continue my investigation

Philippe Monroux monroux-listes at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 11 08:03:38 UTC 2005

Hello,

I  don't  have received  my  net4801  yet but  I'm  reading  a lot  of
documentation (perhaps I'll  write an french howto because  of my poor
english).

Everything seems  to be OK for me  to boot net4801 from  network but I
have  a   little  problem  to  understand  running   from  flash.   In
http://www.cheapnet.net/~mike/soekris/ I read :

,----
| Running From Flash
|
| After you have  your system booted from the network,  its easy to make
| it boot from  the flash. Simply create a  ext2/3 partition on /dev/hda
| using  fdisk, mount  it somewhere  and untar  the debian_rootfs.tar.gz
| into that mounted directory.
|
| soekris# fdisk /dev/hda
| soekris# mkfs.ext2 /dev/hda1
| soekris# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
| soekris# cd /mnt ; tar -zxf /debian_rootfs.tar.gz
|
| /.../
|
| Run lilo and reboot!
`----

I don't  understand because  after I have  my net4801 booted  from the
network,  I'm always  on my  server (from  which I've  made  the whole
configuration). So how can I perform :

soekris# fdisk /dev/hda

insofar as  there is  no keyboard nor  screen on net4801  (obviously I
can't perform fdisk /dev/hda on my desktop isn't).

thanks for help

--
Philippe Monroux
Reunion island