[Soekris] Net4801 and debian

Joshua Ferraro jmf at kados.org
Fri Jan 21 19:13:50 UTC 2005

Jordan et al,

Thanks for the response.  I was able to use that pxelinux.0 to
boot off the nfs share.  Unfortunately my CF card (a LEXAR) was
not able to boot (it shows up as hdb).  So I bought a SanDisk
512MB card this afternoon and I was attempting to use the debian
'netboot' files (instructions are here:
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s06.html
files are here:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current//images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz)
to boot from tftp into ramdisk and install using the regular
debian installer.  The config setup is very similar to Jordan's
recommended one.  Here's what it looks like:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current//images/netboot/debian-installer/i386/pxelinux.cfg.serial-9600/default
The only difference is that I changed 9600 to 19200.

So here's where the problems start.  When booting, I get two brief
messages:
unknown keyword in config file
missing parameter in config file

and then the kernel loads.  Here's the tail end of that:
[...snip]
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 8192K size 1024 blocksize
Initializing Cryptographic API
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP: routing cache hash table of 1024 buckets, 8Kbytes
Linux IP multicast router 0.06 plus PIM-SM
VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 09:00

I also tried using Jordon's exact default file and I get the same
messages.  So can the net4801 use ramdisk?  If so, how do I
set it up?

Thanks,

Joshua