[Soekris] Strange problem with net4801

Chris Buechler cbuechler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 03:03:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:55:20 +0100, Horst Laschinsky
<horst.laschinsky at physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> Of course I may. But is a 233MHz CPU really so slow, that it cannot
> transfer data at 100MBit (or at least 40-50 MBit) 3des encrypted?

I think you'd be lucky to push that much through unencrypted, much
less 3DES.  At least in FreeBSD 4.10, I doubt if other OS's vary much.

Some specs available here, using m0n0wall (stripped down FreeBSD 4.10)
as the OS on the Soekris:
http://m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/faq-performancespecifications.html

Some similar testing I've done yielded similar results.  Not the most
scientific test in the world, but it at least gives you a decent
indication of maximum throughput.

-Chris