[Soekris] Strange problem with net4801

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Tue Jan 18 14:48:38 UTC 2005

On Jan 17, 2005, at 8:27 PM, Horst Laschinsky wrote:

> I am currently dealing with a strange problem concerning the net4801
> board. The board is connected to another PC via a twisted pair cross
> link cable. The NIC in the Soekris board as well as that in the PC
> are set to 100 Mbit, full duplex. Both systems run Linux.
> When I try to transmit data from the Soekris to the PC over tftp (or
> any other simple file transfer protocol) I get transfer rates of
> about 1 MByte/s which is about a factor of ten too low compared to
> the speed of the connection. But what is even odder: if I do the
> file transfer via scp, I have transfer rates of about 10 - 50 _kilo_
> bytes and lots of carrier errors (about 2/3 of the packets cause a
> a carrier error)!
> If I transmit data from the PC to the Soekris, I get 1 MByte/s, no
> matter if I use tftp or scp.
> If I transmit data from the Soekris to itself (scp to localhost)
> I have full speed, only limited by the disk speed.

I've experienced similar problems with 4801<->4801 traffic.  I posted
an issue last week about a CARP setup using twin 4801's where the
pfsync connection between the two routers was causing "trap storms".  I
haven't seen any response from the community or Soekris.  I'm unable to
reproduce this on other hardware, although, admittedly, I don't have
sis cards around for testing.  However, considering that you're
experiencing similar performance problems with Linux that I am on
OpenBSD, I'm still leaning towards this being a hardware problem.

P.S.  Of course, if you don't have matching duplex, that would
definitely explain your problem.  :-P

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting