[Soekris] Strange problem with net4801

Horst Laschinsky horst.laschinsky at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Jan 20 03:18:19 UTC 2005

Clemens Zauner wrote:

> Well, see - thats complicated. Ignoring the fact that Ethernet-Spec
> ist for *U*TP (with "U" meaning: unshielded) you can build up funny
> effects in AC-electrical Environment.

Well OK. Now I understand the fact that shielding on both ends
sometimes _causes_ line noise instead of avoiding it. OK, thats
pretty clear now. But... :-)

1.) I still do not understand, how this noise can be triggered by
    the application layer protocol (as I said, in my case: scp).
2.) Why do people sell TP-cables which are shielded on both ends
    at all?

Well, before we get off topic too much... sleep well. And thanks
a lot to all of you. Things are working fine for me now.
But still some riddles remain... :-)

Best regards,

Horst

--
                             Horst  Laschinsky
        Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg - Physikalisches Institut I