[Soekris] prism2 card with flashable firmware for use in 4501?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sun Jan 9 02:27:03 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 06:49:33PM -0700, Richard Johnson wrote:
> I've got a pair of D-Link DWL-520s (rev A w/ firmware 1.3.4, and rev B w/
> firmware 1.3.6) that I'm using with OpenBSD in a couple of net4501s.
>
> I'd prefer a newer version of the prism firmware (minimum 1.6.3), so I can
> set an enhanced security mode (wicontrol -E 3).  However, D-Link's tier 1
> and 2 support insists that there's no facility for updating the firmware on
> the DWL-520 cards.

That's not true, I've upgraded a DWL-520 before.  There is a Windows
program for the purpose.  OpenBSD may also be able to load the firmware
for you.  (Errr, maybe it is FreeBSD that can.)

I believe Jim Thompson (jim at netgate.com) can provide you with the upgrade
program and firmware.

> If there is indeed no way to flash these, what alternative PCI prism2 cards
> should I consider for my 4501s?

Just curious, but why not consider a non-Prism2 card?  The CPU
utilization will be less, and virtually any other card will probably be
more featureful.

Dave