[Soekris] Setting BIOS defaults from scripts

J Moore jaymo at cullmail.com
Fri Jan 7 19:44:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 05:32:04PM +0100, the unit calling itself Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20050107151741.GA24756 at kingcull.cullmail.com>, J Moore writes:
> >> I'm beginning to tire of the manual system config process I go thru for
> >> my soekris based systems and I'm looking for a way now to set two bios
> >> defaults from a script or small c program of some kind. What I want is
> >> to ensure that conspeed=115200 and that bootdelay=2. Anyone know of a
> >> way to accomplish this?
> >
> >Yes - agreed - it's a pain in the ass. I think I recall Soren Kristen
> >posting something to the list within the past few months detailing a mod
> >to the BIOS/firmware that would do this. Sorry I don't recall more
> >details; it seemed like a sketchy approach to me, and I resolved to stay
> >with the "manual" approach as I have only two boxes.
> >
> >FWIW, I _really_ wish this could be implemented in Soekris as a "set and
> >forget" thing... this seems reasonable to me for a box that uses the
> >serial port exclusively during boot phase.
>
> Its on my list of things I want to do if I ever get Soren to send me
> the source code of the BIOS :-)

I don't know how the Soekris BIOS code was developed, but AMD lists two
"partners" that supply BIOS development tools specifically for Geode
systems (these don't appear to be "open source"):

 http://www.insydesw.com/productcenter/amd/geodesite/index.cfm

 http://www.gensw.com/pages/partners/amdjmp.htm

I wonder... wouldn't it be possible to replace the BIOS programming on
the Soekris board with something else... like maybe U-Boot code?

Jay