[Soekris] Setting BIOS defaults from scripts

J Moore jaymo at cullmail.com
Fri Jan 7 15:17:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:48:25PM -0800, the unit calling itself Mike Ireton wrote:

> I'm beginning to tire of the manual system config process I go thru for
> my soekris based systems and I'm looking for a way now to set two bios
> defaults from a script or small c program of some kind. What I want is
> to ensure that conspeed=115200 and that bootdelay=2. Anyone know of a
> way to accomplish this?

Yes - agreed - it's a pain in the ass. I think I recall Soren Kristen
posting something to the list within the past few months detailing a mod
to the BIOS/firmware that would do this. Sorry I don't recall more
details; it seemed like a sketchy approach to me, and I resolved to stay
with the "manual" approach as I have only two boxes.

FWIW, I _really_ wish this could be implemented in Soekris as a "set and
forget" thing... this seems reasonable to me for a box that uses the
serial port exclusively during boot phase.

Jay