[Soekris] Hardware Problem net4801 + vpn1411

Tom Samplonius tom.samplonius at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 07:17:44 UTC 2005

  The generaly conensus is that the vpn1411 and the net4801 work fine,
as hardware.

  But many have reported propblems with user-mode access to the
vpn1411 has problems (ex.  ssh, openvpn).  But that kernel-model (ex.
ipsec) works fine.  This issue apparently afflicts both OpenBSD and
FreeBSD.  So, if you just use IPSec, you should be fine.  This issue
is clearly software.

  No word yet on what the issue is with user-mode access.  The FreeBSD
and OpenBSD drivers are quite close though FreeBSD has a number of
performance enhancements (see
http://www.cs.duke.edu/csl/usenix/03bsdcon/tech/leffler_crypto/leffler_crpto_html/)
though it appears they are being ported back to OpenBSD.

Tom