[Soekris] Worried about heat! (NET4801 and large hdd)

Vince Vielhaber vv-soekris at michvhf.com
Thu Apr 21 16:21:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Wai-Sun Chia wrote:

> > > I might power the fan from the unused PCI or mini-PCI slots, if possible. It
> > > certainly won't need much juice.
> >
> > The subject line says a 4801 and a large hard drive.  There should be
> > plenty of power before you even get to the 4801 to run a small fan.
> >
> I'm not saying that there's not enough power to drive a teeny fan...
> I saying is that there is no 12V line to power a regular fan...so
> you'd need to derive a 12V from the 5V internally.

Are you just running 5v for the 4801?  Why not run 12 and use the 12 for
the fan and the 4801.  The 4801 has a regulator onboard and doesn't the
drive need 12v anyway?  Or is it a 5v only device?

Vince.
--
 Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/
   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com