[Soekris] 4501 thruput

Max Campos lists at bridgeportsoftware.com
Fri Apr 1 22:51:50 UTC 2005

> Can the 4501 keep up with 3 Mbps ADSL service as a firewall?  What
> happens
> if I try to use it for a VPN?
>
> Right now I'm running Shorewall on a 300 Mhz Pentium 2, but for power
> reasons would like to use the 4501.

My experience with a net4501 running on FreeBSD 5.2.1 with OpenVPN:

- Yes, it can keep up with a firewall at that speed.  I have achieved
344KB/sec on my own 3-4 megabit connection.

- No, it cannot keep up with a VPN.  OpenVPN maxed out on a net4501 for
me at 130KB/sec.  On a net4801 it maxes out  at about 310 KB/sec.

These are just my experiences, given to show you a ballpark of what you
might achieve.  YMMV!

- Max