[Soekris] net4801 IDE cable (again)

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Wed Sep 22 23:18:16 UTC 2004

> Can I use IDE cable with 43 pins in order to connect hard driver to
> net4801? If yes , which pin can I remove?

Yes, you'll have to remove pin 20 from the 4801 board (unless there
is a newer revision with the pin already removed).

Count the pins carefully (off-by-one on one side is a ground pin,
which you don't really want to chop, but might not be a
show-stopper... off-by-one on the other side is a data bit).

You'll find a pinout at
<http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ide3.htm>

If this is for connecting a 3.5" hard drive of >137gb, I'm not
certain the BIOS has support for LBA48 (I seem to remember Soren
posted that he'd only add it when 2.5" drives required it).

HTH
Stuart