[Soekris] PCMCIA + MiniPCI cards in net 4511

Rob Flickenger rob at nocat.net
Wed Sep 22 20:07:47 UTC 2004

On Sep 22, 2004, at 12:21 PM, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> In private mail, I heard words about low-cost solutions. I gather a
> low-cost pistol is fine if all you want to do is shoot yourself in the
> foot.

All engineering is a balance of many factors, and cost vs. performance
of the hardware is just one.  If the performance / cost tradeoff of
what Soekris offers isn't good enough for your application, there are
plenty of other manufacturers with bigger price tags and better
performance.  If money is no object and proprietary hardware and
protocols don't bother you, try Alvarion, Vivato, Proxim, Cisco...

I believe platforms like Soekris are important because there can never
be a single "turn-key" solution that will solve every conceivable
wireless problem.  These boards are stable, flexible, and a great value
for many applications.

But hey, if you're just aiming for your foot, does it really matter
what you use to shoot it with?  =)

--Rob