[Soekris] m0n0wall alternatives?

Christopher Snell chris.snell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 00:15:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:42:48 -0500, David Young <dyoung at pobox.com> wrote:
> m0n0wall is a gorgeous web configurator.  I need something just like
> it, but more lightweight.  That is, I am looking for a Web-based router
> configurator for BSD, implemented in C or Bourne shell---no PHP/PERL,
> please.  Is there any such thing in open source?

I'm working on a project to design an equivalent of m0n0wall, but
based on OpenBSD with pf.  I know you said "no Perl" but I think you
shouldn't be so close-minded.  It is certainly possible to do
lightweight web configuration with Perl.  My aim is to write a
configuration server using POE::Component::Server::HTTP, which can
produce a completely self-contained web server in a small memory
footprint.  The execution of requests is fast, similar to mod_perl
running on Apache and, I believe, faster than spawning CGI.

I aim to replace the rc scripts with Perl as well, storing
configuration info in perl storables, which is like a binary data
structure container.

Chris

Chris