[Soekris] OpenVPN Performance on net4501

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Tue Oct 26 21:11:14 UTC 2004

--On 26 October 2004 13:24 -0700 Max Campos
<lists at bridgeportsoftware.com> wrote:

> I'm running OpenVPN on a Soekris net4501, and  I seem to max out
> the tunnel at about 130KB/sec* in UDP or TCP mode.   If I use the
> net4501 as a router only (no OpenVPN), I get about 344KB/s.   Is
> this on par with what you get?

My OpenVPN Soekris boxes are all installed on ADSL so I can't easily
test maximum speeds (nor are they particularly relevant to me), but
the one thing you haven't mentioned and will make a huge difference
is the cryptosystem used. Try changing to Blowfish ("cipher BF-CBC")
if you aren't already using it.

One fairly possible configuration problem would be to configure
OpenVPN to use 3des intending for it to be offloaded to an
accelerator, but not having the accelerator actually used: since 3des
is comparatively pretty slow in software this would not be good for
performance. However even if you have an accelerator, try Blowfish,
since in many situations it will be faster than driving the hardware.