[Soekris] 4801 CF, NetBSD-current

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Thu Oct 21 00:11:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 07:46:24PM -0400, Michael J. Slifcak wrote:
> Soren Kristensen wrote:
> [SNIP]
> >The net4801 on the other hand have a real busmaster ATA controller, the
> >ATA drivers detect that and will try DMA if the CF card reports the
> >capability. But since the net4801 was designed before the new CF spec,
> >the wires are not connected, so you need to disable DMA manually.
> >
> >The next version of the net4801 PCB has already been updated to have
> >those CF DMA wires, they should start shipping in 4-6 weeks.
>
> What upgrade path for existing net4801 PCB users ?
>
> Will you post a technical addendum to the web site
> (with pictures) describing how to add the DMA lines to the card ?
> [Making the mods yourself will void the warranty, etc.]

I don't know specially for the 4801, but in generell you have to
cut a line and add two new lines - I think you can get the DMA
signals from the HDD connector.
If I counted correctly then the line to cut is accessible as well.

> Will there be a fulfillment program to swap non-DMA capable net4801
> with DMA capable net4801 ?

Well it is not Soekris fault - it's fault of CF specifications to
be incompatible with previous versions.
Unless you need the DMA speed it's easiest to disable DMA within
the OS or ask the CF vendors that sell those incompatible cards.
All CF vendors should be able to help you disabling the feature.

bernd at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de