[Soekris] net4801 Case and Features

Frank Kujawski frank at kujawski.org
Mon Oct 11 12:14:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 05:12, Christopher Snell wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:03:17 +0100, Stuart Henderson
> <stu at spacehopper.org> wrote:
>
> > For many applications, booting over the network (PXE) is just as
> > convenient (if not more so) than physically swapping/reprogramming
> > CF. Usually all you need is DHCP and either TFTP or NFS on another
> > machine.
>
> It would be interesting, though, to be able to upgrade a production
> router by simply pulling the CF through an external port.   This would
> make for a very fast upgrade that could be performed by somebody
> non-technical.  PXE booting is neat but not a very good option for a
> production firewall, due to the DHCP requirement.

DHCP is not an option in my case.  What I am using is a USB Memory
Stick, or what ever they are really called.  Load an executable on the
memory stick, and when the OS recognizes the presents of the memory
stick, execute the executable.  This executable will then upgrade your
code, or in my case, also down load data.