[Soekris] Appreciate some hardware suggestions

Chris Boot bootc at bootc.net
Thu Oct 7 14:13:45 UTC 2004

Hi Patrick,

I'm planning on doing something similar with my net4801. Without a hard
drive you can certainly do the firewalling, QoS, and VPN at least.

I'm going to be using a hard drive and slowly adding more and more to it
and seeing how it copes. My plans for now:
 - Firewall (IPv4 and IPv6)
 - BIND nameserver
 - ISC DHCP server
 - radvd

Then I'm thinking of adding:
 - OpenLDAP server
 - CUPS / gimp-print print server
 - Postfix + Courier IMAP + Amavisd-new + ClamAV + SpamAssassin

I have my doubts about the mail system working on it with the other
stuff I'm planning, and I'm certainly keeping my Apache web server off
it, since it just won't cope with 128 MB of RAM!

And regarding the Sangoma ADSL card, I had a conversation with someone
at Sangoma who read a previous message of mine on the list (sorry, I
lost the email and forgot your name!). Apperently it will work in the
net4801 but not others, and it definitely won't fit in the net4801 case,
you would have to make your own. Only low-profile (maybe slightly
larger, but I wouldn't push it) PCI card will fit in the case.

Hope this helps,
Chris