[Soekris] Newbie Question: 4801 + New CompactFlash

Jonathan Y. Walther walther at waltherware.com
Tue Aug 31 14:30:06 UTC 2004

I have question that I know must have been discussed at length, but despite
Googling for hours I cannot find the answer.

I have a new 4801 that I have successfully booted with Bering via PXE.

The problem that I am having is that I can't seem to make the 4801 work with
the SanDisk 512 CF.

1. If the CF is not in the 4801 at boot, PXE runs successfully and I can log
into the 4801.

2. If the CF in inserted at boot time, I get:

Non-System disk or disk error
Replace and press any key when ready

This tells me that the BIOS is trying to boot off the CF, but the CF is new
at this point so I don't want to boot off of it anyway

In this mode, I also get the message from the BIOS that it sees the CF card:

Pri Sla  SanDisk SDCFB-512               LBA 993-16-63  500 Mbyte

3. If I insert the CF after Bering boots, I still can't seem to get the OS
to do anything with the CF.  fdisk and hdparm both exit with errors

pxe# hdparm /dev/hdb
/dev/hdb: No such device or address
pxe# hdparm /dev/hda
/dev/hda: No such device or address

pxe# fdisk /dev/hda

Unable to open /dev/hda
pxe# fdisk /dev/hdb

Unable to open /dev/hdb

Is this normal operation?

My development systems is RedHat, and most of the instructions out there are
for other distributions, but the mostly involve compiling the kernel, and I
don't think that I can compile an OpenBSD kernel under RedHat...

Any hope of getting the 4801 to initialize the CF while using the RedHat
development system?