[Soekris] 2 questions about the net4501

dan@dracosplace.com dan at dracosplace.com
Thu Aug 12 20:07:40 UTC 2004

I'm new to the list and the whole emmbedded scene, so please excuse me if my
questions are simple or have been asked before. it doesn't seem like i can
search the mailing list archives.

My first question is when i read through the 4501 manual and compared it to the
picture shown on the 4501 website i noticed an additional connection on the
right side it looks like there are 2, 10 pin serial connections there. I was
wondering if that is true or if it is a different connection not mentioned in
the manual

http://soekris.com/Pictures/net4501_top.jpg
http://soekris.com/Manuals/net4501_manual.pdf (page 9)

second thing is i'm looking to get my 4501 to connect to an lcd. I know the lcd
will run by parasite off of the serial port, but its back light is powered by a
5v floppy drive connection.

The 4501 site says that it has an
"Option for 5V supply using internal connector"

but i'm not sure if that means a supply for the board itself or for add-ons.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

p.s. here is the lcd if it helps give any needed info to answer the question
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/633/index.html