[Soekris] Re: Net4801 processor speed -- 2.5" harddrive reliability

Matt Dickinson lists at alpha345.com
Fri Aug 6 15:23:00 UTC 2004

Jesse L. Charbneau wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have been using a Toshiba 2.5" hard drive for some time now.  Its
> a 40GB MK4025GAS and I'm pretty sure its one of the slower models
> (4200RPM).  I chose the slower drive because of heat concerns.  In my
> experience, whenever you use a hard drive in a closed off space, it's
> best to choose something that may be a little slower, and personally,
> I haven't noticed all that big a difference.  I'm using the Net4801
> with OpenBSD 3.5, running all manner of services (www, email, pf,
> nat, etc...) and have not had any type of heat or speed issues.

Hi,

Depending on what your use of the hard disk is inside the box, it's well
worth looking into whether you can get it into powersave mode with tools
like hdparm. This will have the effect of reducing heat and (hopefully)
prolonging hard disk life.

Running Linux, I have the command  "hdparm -d 1 -S 242 /dev/hdb" running at
bootup, so my hard disk will go into standby after 10 mins of being idle, I
use my net4801 as a low cost fileserver (mainly music) and for network
services - dns/dhcp/routing on my home network.

Hth,

Matt