[Soekris] Net4801 processor speed -- 2.5" harddrive reliability and heat issues

Kelly Yancey kelly at nttmcl.com
Thu Aug 5 03:47:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Michael Sierchio wrote:

> Wim Vandeputte wrote:
>
>> Hmmmm Hitachi. N'uf said ;-)
>
> Do you know of another manufacturer that produces 2.5" drives
> rated for continuous duty?

   Actually, that is the key point.  Hitachi's "Endurastar" brand is
designed for applications probably most people on this list have in mind
when they are looking to put a 2.5" hard drive in their box.  However, all
of the much more common "Travelstar" branded drives are designed for (and
I quote from Hitachi's product specifications) "typical mobile system
conditions" which it details as:
 	* Less than 333 power on hours per month.
 	* Seeking, writing, and reading (i.e. active) operation is 20% of
 	  power on hours.

   Other hard drive manufactures may make similar distinctions between
their models.  I did a quick check of Toshiba's web site and they aren't
nearly as specific of how they expect you to use their drives.

   I'm curious where you got your Endurastar drive from, though, as it
doesn't seem than anyone sells them directly to consumers.

   Kelly

Kelly Yancey  --  kbyanc@{posi.net,FreeBSD.org}  --  kelly at nttmcl.com