[Soekris] Re: Comprehensive CF list?

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Sat Nov 29 13:17:28 UTC 2003

  I just got my first Soekris 4511 a few days ago and I've been
wrestling with CF issues.

   I've been working with a Promaster 64 meg flash and I'm using the
OpenSoekris script to create the image for the system. The Promaster is
recognized as a Samsung part and this is where the mystery beings.

   The OpenSoekris flashdist script assumes a 64 meg module is a SanDisk
SDCFB-64 with 8x490x32 geometry. The reported geometry using fdisk on my
Redhat 9.0 laptop is 8x496x32, and the 4511 detects the CF on boot as
being 16x248x32. I've tried all three of these geometries and I still
get 'read error' when I try to load an OS. From this message I take it
that 'bad magic' would indicate geometry errors and this 'read error'
might mean the CF is completely unuseable with the 4511?

   Sticking to my rule that no experimental unix box should cost more
than $30 I obtained a PIII/700 with 192 meg of ram and a 12 gig HD to
replace my previous P166 for OBSD development. I got this so I could try
a direct write to my USB CF reader and it looks like it needs a BIOS
upgrade before USB will function. We'll see how this goes ...

   What should my next step be? Do I need a ATA style CF adapter rather
than this USB thing? Do I need a different brand of CF than the
Promaster/Samsung?

--- snippet from flashdist.sh ---
>># SanDisk SDCFB-64
             totalsize=126977        # "total sectors:"
             bytessec=512            # "bytes/sector:"
             sectorstrack=32         # "sectors/track:"
             sectorscylinder=512     # "sectors/cylinder:"
             trackscylinder=16        # "tracks/cylinder:"
             cylinders=248           # "cylinders:"