[Soekris] VPN1201 - free for OS developer

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Wed Nov 26 18:58:44 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 10:54 am, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> At 01:41 PM 26/11/2003, Sam Leffler wrote:
> >If you look in /usr/src/tools/tools/crypto you'll find a cryptostats
> > program and a hifnstats program, each of which can decode the statistics
> > in a user-friendly format.
>
> Neat.
> backup2# ./hifnstats
> input 1049666123736 bytes 194001046 packets
> output 1049666123736 bytes 194001046 packets
> invalid 0 nomem 0 abort 0
> noirq 0 unaligned 0
> totbatch 0 maxbatch 0
> nomem: map 0 load 0 mbuf 0 mcl 0 cr 0 sd 0
> backup2#
> yet on the other one
>
> offsite# ./hifnstats
> input 460808 bytes 113 packets
> output 460808 bytes 113 packets
> invalid 0 nomem 0 abort 0
> noirq 0 unaligned 0
> totbatch 0 maxbatch 0
> nomem: map 0 load 0 mbuf 0 mcl 0 cr 0 sd 0
> offsite# ./cryptostats
> 113 symmetric crypto ops (0 errors, 0 times driver blocked)
> 0 key ops (0 errors, 0 times driver blocked)
> 0 crypto dispatch thread activations
> 0 crypto return thread activations
> offsite#
>
> On the offsite machine is
> pseudo-device   crypto          # core crypto support
> pseudo-device   cryptodev       # /dev/crypto for access to h/w
> device          hifn            # Hifn 7951, 7781, etc.
>
> I will add
> options         HIFN_DEBUG      # enable debugging support: hw.hifn.debug
> and see whats up.
>
> >If you do sysctl hw.hifn.debug=1 (I think) you should get info on what's
> >going
> >on with your card (or not).  At the very least, if the device was probed,
> > you should see periodic interrupts from the driver polling the h/w for
> > entropy for the PRNG.

In the same directory where the stats programs reside is a cryptotest program.
Try doing something like

cryptotest -z 1024

on the machine where you're not seeing interrupts.  If that gives you
meaningful results (and cryptostats shows the stats go up) then your problem
is elsewhere; like openssl isn't recognizing that you've got /dev/crypto (you
do have cryptodev configured in your kernel, right?).

	Sam