[Soekris] Ethernet speeds

Tim Gardner timg at tpi.com
Mon Nov 24 17:06:58 UTC 2003

Kianusch,

I'm using stock 2.4.22 and 2.6.0-test9 kernels with PCI patches on the Net
4801. I am noticing that ethernet performance is not very good, e.g., below
20 Mbits. In fact, the 2.6.0-test9 National Semiconductor ethernet driver has
been correctly coded for full bus master activity as opposed to receive
buffer copying under 2.4.22. Linux 2.6.0 is slower by 5 Mbits then 2.4.22. Is
there some PCI bus setup that is not done with the stock kernel? I've tried
the Monowall distribution based on BSD which will bridge about 35 Mbits, much
better then Linux.

rtg

--
timg at tpi.com www.tpi.com