[Soekris] wd100 watchdog on Soekris 4801

Fri Nov 21 23:14:03 UTC 2003

Tim Gardner writes:
> Kianusch,
>
> What is the secret to getting the SC1100 watchdog to do something? I have
> verified that the driver is stroking registers when you write something to
> /dev/watchdog, e.g.,
>
> echo "1" > /dev/watchdog
>
> The unit should reboot shortly thereafter. I've been through the SC100
> programmer reference and can find nothing wrong with the driver code. I'm
> using a stock 2.4.22 kernel with the Net4801 patch applied (PCI bus scan,
> Geode processor selection, and wd100 watchdog driver).
>
> Any hints would be appreciated.

The version floating around disables the watchdog by default when you
close the device.  You can sysctl it to keep running on close.

I've made a few modifications to make the driver a bit more useful:

http://centerclick.org/net4801/watchdog/

wd1100.c file is there now, I'll make an appropriate patch in a bit.

It has the following modifications:

* honors CONFIG_WATCHDOG_NOWAYOUT
* default timeout increased to 60 seconds
* watchdog is started on init so you have 60 seconds from when the
  kernel loads (assuming you aren't using it as a module) to startup
  watchdog daemon.
* useful printk()'s to show settings and when device is opened/closed

--
Dave