[Soekris] Sourcing a DWL-520 or similar

Busto, Eric M eric.busto at hp.com
Tue Nov 18 22:49:04 UTC 2003

Thanks for posting the link to the label!  I'll take a look at the label
on my box and figure out what version it is exactly.

As for the microtik miniPCI adapter, that is a neat idea.  However, the
cost ($33) is about as much as a DWL-520 itself, not to mention the cost
of the miniPCI wireless card.  Something to keep in mind if I can't find
a regular PCI wireless card though.

I appreciate the information.

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Bart Smit wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Busto, Eric M wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know where I can find a DWL-520 that will work with my
> > net4501?
>
> Nope. Hard to find. If available at all.

I just dug up the box my AB card came in.  It's a DLink DWL-AB520 <B>
and it says the H/W is B1.  I scanned the label and put it here:

http://www.pop4.net/~vev/dlinkab.jpg

> > Alternatively, are there any other PCI wireless cards that people
> > are having great success with?  If so, where can I purchase one?
>
> PCI seems difficult, but you could have a look at the mini-PCI cards
> and kits (with pigtails and stuff) from netgate. These are known to
> work.

If you've already used the MiniPCI slot on the 4501, you can get a PCI
to MiniPCI adapter that goes to either 1 or 4 MiniPCI slots from
MicroTik.  I have one in a wireless repeater and the only drawback I
found (so far) was that an Orinoco MiniPCI card wasn't recognised in it
(nothing wrong with the orinoco).  And just for the record, I have no
connection to MicroTik beyond buying one of these boards.

Vince.
--
 Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!
http://www.pop4.net/