[Soekris] Sourcing a DWL-520 or similar

Vince Vielhaber vv-soekris at michvhf.com
Tue Nov 18 22:41:49 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Bart Smit wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Busto, Eric M wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know where I can find a DWL-520 that will work with my
> > net4501?
>
> Nope. Hard to find. If available at all.

I just dug up the box my AB card came in.  It's a DLink DWL-AB520 <B>
and it says the H/W is B1.  I scanned the label and put it here:

http://www.pop4.net/~vev/dlinkab.jpg

> > Alternatively, are there any other PCI wireless cards that people are
> > having great success with?  If so, where can I purchase one?
>
> PCI seems difficult, but you could have a look at the mini-PCI cards and
> kits (with pigtails and stuff) from netgate. These are known to work.

If you've already used the MiniPCI slot on the 4501, you can get a PCI to
MiniPCI adapter that goes to either 1 or 4 MiniPCI slots from MicroTik.  I
have one in a wireless repeater and the only drawback I found (so far) was
that an Orinoco MiniPCI card wasn't recognised in it (nothing wrong with
the orinoco).  And just for the record, I have no connection to MicroTik
beyond buying one of these boards.

Vince.
--
 Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/