[Soekris] net4801 temperature/voltage

Robert Woodcock rwoodcock at printinc.com
Tue Nov 18 16:23:07 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, Gene McCulley wrote:
> I've searched the archive of this list on this topic to no avail.
> The manual is very brief about the temperature/voltage monitoring
> and I've seen mail on this list about attaching sensors.

> Does the net4801 have the hardware for temperature/voltage monitoring
> already or is it just support by the multi-IO chip to which one must
> attach extra hardware?

Judging from http://www.national.com/pf/PC/PC87366.html, I think it's
onboard. As long as Soren hooked up the PC87366's voltage input pins
to the various power supply outputs (P/S input and the battery
would be nice too) then we're ok.

I guess one could test the voltage monitoring hookups with an
ohmmeter while the device is off. Supposedly they'd be hooked up
through resistor networks in the ballpark of 2k to 100k.
See: http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-1137.pdf
The pins are 37 through 43 for AVI0-AVI6, respectively. 44 is AVDD,
45 is AVSS. (Pins 38 and 39 are on each side of the corner counter-
clockwise from pin 1.)

For the temperature measurements,
http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-1128.pdf indicates that there is one
sensor on the chip itself, and two external diodes can be attached.

The PC87366 docs also suggest that there is a keyboard/mouse controller,
a MIDI/game port, a parallel port, ACPI with modem-wake-on-ring support,
IR support on serial port #2, fan speed control and monitoring, and
ACCESS.bus, an SMBus-a-like. After you solder all of that on, maybe
you'll feel you've got your $4.62 worth out of it.