[Soekris] (no subject)

Jim Shankland jas at shankland.org
Sat Nov 15 17:03:42 UTC 2003

> I am looking for some info on the 802.3af PoE standard,
> specifically how I might use this with a Soekris net4521.  Does
> this standard mean that one or both Ethernet ports onboard the
> net4521 will accept DC voltage on the spare pairs, in place of
> using a standard AC adapter connection?

Whatever you do, don't apply DC on the second Ethernet port
(the one farther from the serial connector); every time I plug
into that one by mistake, the board starts to smoke (!).  I'm
using a rather muscular 48 VDC, 400 mA 3Com power injector,
with a 3 ft. line (for development at my desk), but I can't imagine
the results would be that much better even with 12 VDC.

The first Ethernet port (closer to the serial connector) can be
used to power the board just fine.

Jim