[Soekris] Power over ethernet Switch

Kelly Edward Murray kem at netnimble.com
Wed Nov 12 16:19:37 UTC 2003

Rahul Kalaskar wrote:

> Looks fine to me. Can you give me few more details.
>
> 1) I would like to have 4-6 PoE ports. Is that possible ?

yes we can do all 8 if you want.

> 2) Can the output be configured for 12VDC 800mA as this is the power
> supply recommended for Soerkis boxes.

You would need a 12v input that can power all 6 devices, so 6*.8
12v-4.8Amp power supply.  These are available, but are relatively
expensive.

> 3  I like the daisy-chain feature. Is that possible with mutliple PoE
> ports present on the switch.

yes, but note that all power for the multiple devices then comes in from
the ethernet rather than the power plug.

We also make a 48v-12v PoE DC-DC inline unit that takes 48v PoE input
and generates 12v-PoE output.  This can be used for example to run 48v
for
a long cable run (like up a 300ft tower) and then get 12v to feed the
switch
that feeds multiple devices.  We have 48v-1.6amp power supplies.
These are not on our website catalog yet.

-Kelly Murray