[Soekris] 4801 and NetGate 802.11a/b/g

John Bellardo bellardo at cs.ucsd.edu
Sat Nov 8 20:10:35 UTC 2003

Jason,

On Nov 8, 2003, at 10:51 AM, Jason Romo wrote:

> Has anyone tried to use the Netgate 802.11a/b/g combo mini-pci card as
> an
> AP?  Looking to setup the Net 4801 as an AP.  Found the Madwifi
> drivers and
> can't confirm if it supports AP mode. I have found vytek.com that has
> software for it but it is not opensource.  I would rather have an
> opensource
> solution.
>
> Any links or information would be appreciated.

I have a 4801 with the Netgate a/b/g setup as an AP in my lab.  I'm
using the madwifi driver, and it has work reasonably well so far.  It
still has some rough edges though.  For example, last time I tried
using g mode it wasn't working.  The other annoying feature of the
netgate card is the four antenna jacks (2 each for a and b/g).
Basically, you need to decide which frequency range you want to use
before you deploy your AP.  Switching typically requires changing where
the pigtails are plugged in to the wireless card.  The most
inconvenient aspect of the 4801 so far has been the soekris enclosure.
It doesn't have holes for the pigtails, so you have to add your own.  I
can get reasonable throughput with the setup.  Typically 20-25 mbps
using .a (in a "clean" environment) as measured by netperf's TCP stream
test.

-John