[Soekris] net4801 power supply for ireland (/UK)?

Darryl Okahata darrylo at soco.agilent.com
Wed Nov 5 22:20:35 UTC 2003

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> >> You should be fine with 1.5A @ 12V, even with a disk.
> >
> >     While that power supply is adequate for just the 4801, [...]
>
> No, 15W is the max you can (safely) send through the soekris power supply,
> including what you can feed the PCI, mini-PCI and DISK.

     If that's true, the Soekris web page is misleading.  Under
"Specifications" for the 4801, we have:

	"Power either 5V DC fixed or 7-20V DC, max 15 Watt"

> My 4801 with a crypto mini-pci and a state of the art (At least it was
> 6 weeks ago :-) disk never got above 10W.

     That's not surprising.  Average power usage can often be
significantly below the max usage.

     Having had my share of flaky hardware, I like being conservative
with power supplies.  ;-)

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo at soco.agilent.com