[Soekris] Net4521 GPIO JP3 Header pins

Louis A. Mamakos louie+soekris-tech at TransSys.COM
Sun Nov 2 14:24:45 UTC 2003

> On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 11:54:52AM -0500, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> > By NOT running the whole thing in RAM, I'm not using the
> > soekris's limited RAM up needlessly.
> >
> > In general, though, once the machine has been up and running
> > for a few minutes, ALL the programs that are going to be in
> > use are paged into RAM.
> >
> > There's no need to put all of / into a memory file system
> > (and all of /var is equally silly).
>
> putting everything into a mfs makes updating and
> keeping old versions of the files easier.

I just have two paritions on my CF device and alternate booting
between them when upgrading.  It's also easy to back-out an upgrade,
too, by just booting the old parition.

The DRAM on the CPU is much better utilized as memory rather than as
a pseudo disk.  My CF device parition is mounted read-only, so
wear on the device isn't an a issue.  I have NEVER had anyone
credibly claim that READING a flash memory device has wear issues..

louie