[Soekris] Net4521 GPIO JP3 Header pins

Chuck Yerkes chuck+soekris at 2003.snew.com
Sat Nov 1 16:54:52 UTC 2003

Quoting Curtis V. Schleich (cvslist at ccaonline.com):
> Hello Eric and list!
>
> I have just finished a project that seems to be working very well.  I'm
> using the excellent wisp-dist distribution that can be found at
> http://leaf.sf.net.

>  It runs completely from RAM so as not to wear out the
> CF card and is fairly complete.
This is an interesting conclusion to draw...
I use a variety of BSDs which run completely read only, so as
not to wear out the CF card.  I have around 4MB of MFS partitions
mounted for files that want to be written (DNS secondary zones,
some DHCP info, /var/run/ etc).

By NOT running the whole thing in RAM, I'm not using the
soekris's limited RAM up needlessly.

In general, though, once the machine has been up and running
for a few minutes, ALL the programs that are going to be in
use are paged into RAM.

There's no need to put all of / into a memory file system
(and all of /var is equally silly).