[Soekris] CF cards with a high cycle (or write) rate?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed May 14 22:36:58 UTC 2003

In message: <20030514151824.Y97149 at tigger.alkinetworks.com>
            Philip Hallstrom <philip at adhesivemedia.com> writes:
: So far the only hard facts I have are that Kingston's cards fail after
: 300,000 writes to a given block.

That's a low number for CF.  I've personally tested three different
parts to 10M writes before giving up.  However, with wear avearaging,
I don't know what that translates to through to the actual part.  I've
not seen anybody quoting duty cycles in a couple of years (other than
to repeat, unchanged, earlier specs).

: The url below suggests there are cards out there with up to 10,000,000
: writes per sector, but so far I can't find them...
:
: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/solid-state/

This was based on my testing.

: I was hoping some of you could tell me what other brands (Crucial,
: Sandisk, etc...) have a larger number of writes before failure and/or work
: well with the soekris stuff (I've seen some posts of issues with certain
: cards/sizes).

Forget about brands.  They don't mean anything.  They are just fancy
stickers.  You have to look at the underlying technology in the batch
of parts you get.  We've seen large variation in the underlying
technology, even from the same brand/part number from the same
company.  These are a commodity item so it is hard to know.  We've
seen, for example, a variation of a factor of 10 in the speed of parts
from different batches (from the same supplier, same brand, same size,
ordered a few months apart).

Warner