[Soekris] Ethernet issues

Code:NET danrb at codenet.net
Fri May 2 17:01:07 UTC 2003

	Hearing what you said, I went back out there and tried it (wasted an
afternoon).  I have a 100 megabit switch and a 10 megabit switch.  I plug
everything into the 100 megabit switch and everything works fine, all but a
little slow.  I plug in the 10 megabit switch and it works off and on, and
randomly the activity light just stays solid on on both the switch and the
soekris and no data is passed.  It happens frequently enough that I wouldn't
leave it for 5 minutes, let alone try to hang customers off of it.  If I do a
cross over cable between any ten megabit device and the soekris, I'm lucky to
get 30 seconds before the ethernet on the soekris locks.  I even tired
putting 150 feet of cable between the soekris and the 10 megabit switch
thinking that the cable length might be the issue.   I spent 2 1/2 hours out
there screwing with crap.

	I acknowledge that this may be a software issue, but I wouldn't bet on it.
When I pull this unit out of production we'll test it then.

	I wouldn't place any faith in any ten megabit communications through a
soekris. Not to knock them too hard, for wireless applications to 100 megabit
devices they are very impressive.  And for wireless uplink to wireless ap
they are great, but the limitations must be realized.  If what your saying is
that I have a fluke, or a defective board, we are pulling it out of
production and I'll inspect/RMA it then.

	Daniel Baughman