[Soekris] Problem netbooting with netbsd on net4501

ahorn@deorth.org ahorn at deorth.org
Thu May 1 16:37:28 UTC 2003

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Ronald van der Pol wrote:

>Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 14:14:56 +0200
>From: Ronald van der Pol <Ronald.vanderPol at rvdp.org>
>To: ahorn at deorth.org
>Cc: soekris-tech at lists.soekris.com
>Subject: Re: [Soekris] Problem netbooting with netbsd on net4501
>
>On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 11:51:02 -0700, ahorn at deorth.org wrote:
>
>> PXE BIOS Version 2.1
>> Using PCI device at bus 0 device 18 function 0
>> pxe0: Ethernet address 00:00:24:c0:b1:3c
>> net_open: client addr: 192.168.0.65
>> net_open: subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
>> net_open: net gateway: 192.168.0.1
>> net_open: server addr: 192.168.0.59
>> net_open: server path: /export/diskless/root
>> net_open: file name: pxeboot_ia32_com0.bin
>> open netbsd: No such file or directory
>> boot: No such file or directory
>> Boot fail
>
>Do you have pxeboot_ia32_com0.bin in /tftpboot? It's in /usr/mdec.
>Running tcpdump usually helps to find where exactly the boot process
>fails.

Yes, it's in /tftpboot. It successfully downloads.

I've since tried using grub as the second stage loader since that allows
me more control over loading the kernel, this also failed.

Someone suggested installing via laptop and floppy in a way that would
ignore the installed laptop disk (which is linux, for my sins :/) so I'm
going to try this and see...