[Soekris] 4501 doesn't boot

Happy-Connect ivanling at happy-connect.com
Wed Jul 30 09:07:31 UTC 2003

Hi Punky,

I have exactly the same experience with a net4511 board. After
unplugging/plugging the 5Volt power supply a number of times the board
died. I have a power over Ethernet power supply, but the behavior of the
board is the same. Both on external power and PoE the board does not
boot anymore.

I have measured the 3.3Volt supply and its there. Also, as you describe,
the Ethernet chips and the processor seem to be running hotter than
normal. I have another 20 board from Soekris to compare. I have found
that cooling the CPU with cooling spray sometimes brings the board back
to live. But after a few seconds it dies again.

So I have declared my net4511 board officially dead... :-( unless
someone on this list knows how to fix this problem.

Kind regards, Ivo van Ling