[Soekris] Re: Cost effective embedded solutions

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sun Jul 27 18:32:20 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:39:51AM +0200, Arent Kits van Heijningen[106016.3614] wrote:
>  another issue is that more and more
> wireless cards ( both pcmcia and mini-pci ) are windows-only , so you will
> need to run the windows drivers in a BSD or Linux resp dedicated network OS
> environment , without performance heading southwards

  Which wireless cards are Windows-only? In open source, there is support
  for Prism, Atmel, ADMtek, and Atheros. ACX-100 support for Linux is
  well underway. I asked, and Realtek sent me some remarkably complete
  documentation the other day, so that .11b chip is covered.

  I think that there is still a major barrier to open source drivers
  for Broadcom's wireless chips. I cannot think of any other maker.
  What have I missed?

Dave