[Soekris] Can we run Soekris through 12v battery

Henry Spencer henry at spsystems.net
Fri Jul 25 15:58:04 UTC 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Jim Gifford wrote:
> > In principle, yes.  In practice, you *don't* want to just hook your Soekris
> > up to your car's electrical system.  Car electrical systems are extremely
> > noisy, and are notorious for huge voltage spikes and other problems.
> > Electronic devices which are not designed for that environment will not
> > last long without quite extensive power filtering.
>
> As I was about to do this very thing, what would you suggest as an
> alternative?  Stepping the 12 volts down to a nice (hopefully clean) 5
> volts?  A capacitor in the power line to filter out the noise?  Perhaps
> one the the noise filter blocks like I use for my amateur radio?

It's hard for me to give specific advice, as it's an area I haven't
studied closely.  My impression is that seemingly-gross overkill is the
preferred approach:  a commercial noise filter, a hefty capacitor, a
conversion to 5V, and an MOV to clip any remaining spikes seems like a
good start.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry at spsystems.net