[Soekris] Can we run Soekris through 12v battery

Jim Gifford jim at giffords.net
Fri Jul 25 14:01:37 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 09:51:27AM -0400, Henry Spencer wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 ankur.j at media.mit.edu wrote:
> > I want to connect the soekris with the 12v battery of my car. I wanted to
> > know, can soekris run through the car battery when other electric appliances
> > in the car is also sharing the same battery...
>
> In principle, yes.  In practice, you *don't* want to just hook your Soekris
> up to your car's electrical system.  Car electrical systems are extremely
> noisy, and are notorious for huge voltage spikes and other problems.
> Electronic devices which are not designed for that environment will not
> last long without quite extensive power filtering.

As I was about to do this very thing, what would you suggest as an
alternative?  Stepping the 12 volts down to a nice (hopefully clean) 5
volts?  A capacitor in the power line to filter out the noise?  Perhaps
one the the noise filter blocks like I use for my amateur radio?

Somehow, I think the cost of this project is about to increase a bit.
:/

Thanks in advance,
Jim Gifford