[Soekris] Atheros

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Wed Jul 23 01:21:19 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 04:49:47PM -0700, Brian Beattie wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 16:41, David Young wrote:
> >   I read a paper that told how the 802.11 MAC was unusual in that goodput
> >   peaks and then *declines* with increasing load. Goodput in an ethernet
> >   just levels off.
>
> Goodput? is that anything like throughput?  Because the throughput of
> ethernet does decline if bus utilization exceeds a certain point.

  Brian is right, and the paper makes no such claim about ethernet,
  although it does talk about congestion in 802.11 networks,
  <http://people.bu.edu/staro/wcnc-ray.pdf>. (Incidentally, "RTS
  Validation" is described in the 1999 draft of the 802.11 spec, section
  9.2.5.4. I wonder if any manufacturer implements it?)

Dave