[Soekris] mobile wireless AP

Chuck Yerkes chuck+soekris at 2003.snew.com
Tue Jul 22 01:03:04 UTC 2003

Quoting Jens Christian Andersen (jens at danx.dk):
> The last couple of days there have been some discussions on wireless
> should be Mini PCI or PCMCIA.
> Can you get the Mini PCI with an antenna?
Sure.  You'd kind of have to - miniPCI doesn't have space for an
onboard antenna (and they tend to go deep inside sheilded areas...).

> The plan is to have a GPS connect to the DB9 but are they're anyone that
> have done this?

"the db9" is intended for, and used as console.
You likely want it connected via the second serial port.
(two wires + ground that can be snagged from the db9
 if you don't need HW handshaking).

> Do the Soekris only run flash card to a max of 1 GB or can it work with
> the 2 GB or 4 GB cards then that day comes?
Not sure I'd ever want to have that much READ ONLY.  If I want to WRITE
data, I'd be looking at something else.  Like a disk (usb disk?).

But it seems like you have a Soekris hammer and everything looks like
a nail.

> The plan is that all the cars have maps install into the Soekris and
> display these on the Symbol 8800. The current map is 1.4 GB at the
> moment and to that the Debian, Mysql, Mysql data and 50 MB of data needs
> to be on it.
> A total amount around 2 GB. Does anyone have a good idea to this
> problem? There cannot be use a hard drive.

I have a buddy with a radio for his car.  It's actually an Empeg radio.
Has a 30GB drive in it.  Lives in his dash.  Never skips and hasn't
had a bump in 2+ years.  He can pull it from the car, plug in the
ethernet and audio out and use it at home (it's pre-WiFi).

Another buddy has a lovely blaupunkt (sp?) nav system in his
car.  If you compress your maps and data right, you can fit
many many many cities onto a CD.

I've also done work for companies that have small boxy, densely packed
computers.  We had 2x36GB with 1GHz CPU and 1GB RAM in something that
would ALMOST fit in the large pocket of cargo pants.

Look at the UPS devices.  hardened plastic and, if you shockmount it
right, room for a LOT of laptop drive.

Worried about power?  Get a battery.  I've sat on a boat for HOURS
with a laptop and tunes blasting on a secondary battery and an inverter
to make AC.

And second large car battery should do this for you.  I'd worry about
drawing more than 3-4 AMPs at 220VAC, but that's a lot of laptop.
Laptops have DVDs.  DVDs hold maps.

One of the things I liked about the soekris was that I was finding
LOTS and LOTS of devices with support for VGA level LCDs and for
harddrives.  The embedded-linux world is full of them.  Intel partners
using ARM abound.  But I didn't want a drive or a screen.  I wanted
what the 45x1 mostly is.

Perhaps this is the wrong nail for your hammer :)