[Soekris] Atheros

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Jul 21 17:43:56 UTC 2003

Tony,

Karlnet doesn't claim that they've patented TurboCell.  This doesn't
mean that they don't have a patent, or that they haven't attempted to
patent it (e.g. "patent pending"), but typically companies who have
patented technology (or even just filed for patent protection) will
let you know whenever possible.  Entirely good legal reasons to do so
(if you infringe, damages are much higher, because you were 'on
(constructive) notice'.)

You also show a bit of ignorance on both patent law and how the GPL is
used.  The GPL leverages copyright law, not patent law.  If you
develop (or reverse engineer) code that infringes on a patent, you
break the law if you distribute it, GPL or not.

In addition, the GPL has provisions that don't allow it to be applied
to patented technology, unless a fully paid-up (world-wide, etc)
patent license is granted by the patent holder.

IANAL!

Its entirely possible to write YATP (Yet Another TDMA Protocol) on top
of the Atheros chipset, and likely do better than KarlNet's TurboCell.
This may be possible with the madwifi driver, I haven't checked.

I'm tempted, but I won't address the Karlnet 'TurboCell' hype
point-by-point.  Suffice it to say that I detect a faint whiff of
manure in the air.

There are other issues with going outdoors @ 2.4GHz.

None of this has anything to do with Soekris boards.

Jim

Juliano Pillati writes:

> But if know standard TurboCell features is possible development
> driver for TurboCell standard as Lucent do with COR (Central Office
> Router), COR is one license to tecnlogy TurboCell for work in
> outdoor without problems have 802.11, and Lucent / Orinoco copy idea
> from KarlNet, and us can write one driver too!!! Understand!!!
>

> Or you think is no possible write it ???
>
> Juliano
>

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:13:59 -0400
> "tonylist" <tonylist at demarctech.com> wrote:
>
> > Juliano
> >
> > Not Sam but I can help with this.  Basically Karlnet owns the paten on the
> > TurboCell protocol to even if one could reverse engineer TurboCell they
> > could not give out the code as this would be breaking the law, as you noted
> > this is not GPL code.  Also in version 4.5 of the Karlnet OS you will see
> > support for the Atheros chipset, while it could happen I do not think we
> > will be seeing any more support for Linux drivers from Karlnet as this is
> > not the direction they are going.
> >
> > Sincerely,  Tony Morella
> > Demarc Technology Group, A Wireless Solution Provider
> > Office: 908-996-7995 Cell: 908-246-9170 Fax: 908-847-0202
> > http://www.demarctech.com

"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure."
			-- Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)